View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013   #386
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't know if TK remembers, but that whole right side was up for competition all rhrough camp and pre season.

It had looked like Newton beat Butler out towards the end of pre season. I believe Butler got hurt playing with the back ups and guys that weren't going to make the team.

I don't ever remember guys being entrenched over there last season.
Newton was named the starter after the 3rd preseason game. A week before Butler's torn tricep. But you're right, they were never really entrenched because they didn't play worth a crap. Hence the rotation.

Quote:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on who was named as the starter for right tackle) “Yeah, I named (T Derek) Newton the starter this morning. Looking at the body of work, I think it was very, very close, as I told y’all all along. I think the thing that has moved this toward Newton is watching his progress, watching where he was the end of last year going to the offseason, going thru camp, watching him get better and better and better. Did a good job the other night. Young player that we think’s ascending. We know that there’s a lot of things he’s got to clean up, but we think he’s definitely committed to doing that, just like the way he’s progressed. So we’ll give him an opportunity to do it. Big responsibility but we think he’s ready for it.”