View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013   #349
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Nice write up, TC.......as always!

Wonder if you could comment on if you feel that Kubiak would ever entertain converting Brandon Brook to OT........if not sooner, then later?
Hmmm. This is what I know and think I know:

1. The Texans are very specific about what they like for different positions on the offensive line. When the new staff came to the team in 2006, it blew them away that it just seemed like big guys got randomly assigned different positions on the line without much attention to skills/body type.

(As an aside, I do not buy all the BS that just because team X got free agent Olineman Y it means they fixed their Oline. If an Olineman is teh awesome, they usually don't get to become free agents. And a lot of time teams are looking for high priced free agent Olineman, it's because they suck at developing them and/or their scheme sucks and/or their quarterback does them no favors. In addition, just because a player costs a lot, doesn't mean they are any good or fit a different team's system. You can shorthand this whole paragraph as The Todd Wade Rule. Very nice guy, but did not fix the abysmal Texans offensive line because of this whole paragraph).

2. Looks good at guard. Guard kinda important too. Maybe you are better settling a young player at one spot he can become dominant at than a position that maybe doesn't suit him.

3. They expect Newton/Williams back. Minicamp this week, then a lot of time until training camp. So let's see what happens with the tackles.

4. OTOH, Texans aren't afraid to try stuff with young guys if they have a need. Signed, Ben Jones playing lots of time at guard even though he didn't play it since high school. So, in other words, I have pretty much given up trying to predict what the Texans do on the offensive line because boy howdy, I didn't see that Ben Jones thing coming until it just started happening in camp.

5. Dark horse candidate: Quessenberry. When he works with backups, looks like he is too big to be with that group. Same sensation I got when I watched Eric Winston his rookie year. (Not the same player but long arms, named captain as a lineman, played through injuries). I'm going to watch Oline more carefully in minicamps given current issues.