View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 232779 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

Quote:
I’ve compiled a list of the top 40 Houston Texans based on the current roster, but I need to spell out how I decided to rank the players. My rankings aren’t based on overall value to the team or the ratings would start with “1. Matt Schaub, 2. Andre Johnson.”

Instead, I decided to try to rank the Texans as “football players.” I’m trying to decide how good a football player each player is relative to each other and how I come to my conclusions is certainly bound to be different from how you come to your conclusions. What you did in the past just factors in slightly as I’m looking to stack players based on where I think they are right now as players.

Keep in mind that some of my rankings will have players who have “never done anything” ahead of players who have experience under their belt. Oh well. In some cases I’m obviously projecting based on how I think they would play if given the opportunity that others have had. Here is my final list of the Texans Top 40. ...

Texans Top 40

* The numbers in parenthesis is the rankings of the players last year. FA means they were free agents this year while players who were added during the season will be designated as unranked.

1. J.J. Watt, DT/DE (5) - Last year I had Watt at #5 because I wanted to see him perform at a higher level for a little bit longer before I moved him to top of this list. Well played, Mr. Watt. Well played. After Watt put together what may go down as the most dominant season of any defensive lineman in history, it is safe to say that the top spot on the team is his. He has an absolutely elite combination of power, quickness, size and hand usage and for as good as he is on the field, he might be just as good off the field. It is unlikely that he will match last year’s ridiculous sack output (20.5), but there is no reason to believe that he won’t be in double digits once again.

2. Duane Brown, LT (3) - Make no mistake about it – Duane Brown was even better in 2011 than he was in 2012. I’m not saying that Brown wasn’t good in 2012 because he was, but I think he started to get a little too heavy. How did Brown respond to his 2012 season? He came into OTAs as light as I’ve seen him as a Texan. Brown has shed the excess weight and I think we’ll see a focused, dominant season from one of the best in the business.

3. Arian Foster, RB (1) - It is easy to focus on Foster’s declining yards per carry and his increasing workload, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that Foster gets the cheese. His 47 touchdowns over the last three years is a great example of the nose that Foster has for the endzone and his ability to be a workhorse for the Texans shouldn’t be held against him, but rather lauded. I don’t know how much longer Foster can continue to handle the high number of touches that he has been saddled with over the last three years, but I do know that he shows up in the big games and we will see his YPC go back up if the Texans can get their run blocking sorted out this year.
http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...xans-for-2013/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote