View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013   #73
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 273403 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think you CAN make those assessments until after the player has played. You can make predictions but they're only how you, personally, feel about the players. And that's what the draft grade ends up being... what YOU think the needs are, how YOU think the draftees fill those needs, and how YOU think other players that were available would have fit better.

Personally, this year I would have rated the ILB a higher priority than Smithiak did and I would have gone after an ILB... but I can't really say how these guys would have fit into Wade's schemes and I couldn't really say whether moving Brooks Reed to the middle was an option.

After seeing the way our draft fell, it looks to me like moving Brooks Reed inside was part of the plan all along. That's not the way I would have played it but I'm OK with that strategy.
But what you outlined is a different grading system or criteria. What I'm speaking to is how perceived needs were met or failed to be met.

How many players actually stick with the team, make significant contributions, and/or become solid starters is a totally different assessment. And that one cannot be made until the season starts. Sometimes not for 2,3, or 4 yrs down the line. Duane Brown and K.Jax spring immediately to mind. Those picks look a helluva lot better now than they did at draft time (D.B's case) or after the rookie year (K.Jax case).

The draft grading I'm talking about is much simpler. It boils down to this: Did we address team needs as best we could in the order the grading person thought they should have been addressed?

For example... More than one poster thought we should go NT, WR, and/or ILB early on. We didn't; at least not completely. To those folks, if they stay true to their draft thinking, this draft was only partially successful. We got our WR but only partially addressed ILB by getting pass rushers so Brooks could go inside and totally failed to address NT.

However, if 4-6 out of the 10 guys we drafted end up contributing significantly and/or become solid starters for years to come (and team performance doesn't suffer), then the draft could be considered a success even though no NTs or ILBs were picked.

All that to say, there's more than one way to view this draft grading thing.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote