View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/1 Brennan Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I have a problem in grading the drafts themselves.
I understand.

Quote:
Every front office selects the player that they believe will help their team the most (well, except maybe the Raiders), and by definition, the overall group selected is one the selecting team feels good about as a whole. Essentially by grading the entire thing as a C or D (or theoretically even a B), you're saying that you know more about both the players selected, as well as the team needs than the front office does.
I agree with a lot of this. Which is why my problem with draft grades isn't so much about the grading, but more about who is doing the grading. I'm fine with McShay, Kipper, or Mayock giving their player analysis, player rankings, or player grades.

But I don't like it when guys like that give a draft grade. They have no idea how an NFL team works. How an NFL team assesses their own talent, their needs, the development of their team, who's coming along next season, who's not. Who they plan to resign... all kinds of things & then, how the team proceeds from there.

I'd rather see a John McClain draft grade than a Mayock..... not that I do not respect Mayock, but he couldn't give two flips about the Texans, at least not until we win the Super Bowl. McClain... I'd like to see how out of touch he is with the Texans.

Quote:
There may be occasions where that's correct (cough, Casserly, cough), and there may be front offices who for one reason or another just aren't very good at what they do, so low grading them is always safe (see previous Raiders comment), but by and large, I'm not going to pay much attention to media members, analysts, or just guys in front of a computer telling me team 1 gets a B+, team 2 gets a C, and team 3 gets a D-. Again, grading the players is a necessity and that's obviously before the fact, but I don't really think there's anyone able to intelligently grade the draft as a whole. That's simply a matter of giving it time.
Exactly, but I do like listening to draft analysis from Casserly & Lombardi & Billick, & Mooch & those guys. I even like listening to analysis from Jamie Dukes & Dione Sanders. At least they know what it smells like on the inside of a locker room.