Originally Posted by b0ng
You've seen a few OTAs, tell us with a comparison to previous years WRs corps how the 2013 version stacks up. Are they better/worse than the 2012 squad?
I've been to all the OTAs. Haven't written up all of them because at some point the macro view is more important than the micro view.
My view of the WRs:
1. Last year I did not buy into the hype of any of the WRs. They had up and down days, and I think some folks got overly down on Posey, overly up on Jean and Martin. They all looked inconsistent to me. It also did not help that Schaub didn't work with them during OTAs because he was still rehabbing foot.
2. I do think Jean and Martin look more consistent this year. I do not think that is hype. What that translates on the field, I do not know.
3. Hopkins is different than every WR the Texans have acquired post-AJ. Just very impressive. Great, great hands. Very physical. He isn't getting a ton of targets but makes the most of them. I don't think the talk about him is hype.
He won't get a ton of twitter talk during this phase of OTAs because he is working with 1s, working against 1st team defense, isn't getting a ton of targets because healthy JJo is covering him as consistently as a Jags tarp.
I am not sure of how many targets Hopkins will receive but Hopkins is exactly as advertised. Strikes me as a bright guy too. (Sometimes you interview guys and it is like looking into the eyes of a cow. Texans haven't kept a lot of those guys).
4. Bonner is getting a lot of targets from backup QBs/against backup corners. He is making the most of those targets, has shown good body awareness. When he runs routes, looks like he's on rails. Flashy catches mean lots of tweets about him. He's intriguing, but don't know how it will translate to real man football.
5. Overall the group of WRs look like they belong. In shorts. There isn't a Trindon/Jean's first year guy out there looking confused.
I'll be doing a complete OTAs wrap up on Thursday.