View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013   #23
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Garbage Time Strategy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
3rd and 11+ Schaub 28 attempts, Foster 15 attempts.
In the football world that's pretty close...and I'm not talking horseshoes and hand grenades close either.

See, because I think (glad we're back on topic)...I think...well, there seemed to be a marked difference in how we started the season, i.e. passing to set up the run vs. how we ended: running to set up the pass.

We have a compelling article on how the Texans use their garbage time, which passes the eye test for many, including myself.

Now...how many of Schaub's 3rd and 11+ passes occurred at the beginning of the season, and how many later in the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
twice Matt checked it to a run, & they got the play off once (for a big gain & I think that's the way the question was framed, "why don't we see that more often")

I only hope that next year they work a HB screen into the "audibles" y'know. Sometimes they run the draw (there was a time when I used to say, "We never run the draw"), sometimes they run the screen, sometimes Schaub snaps the ball & sees what happens (like you said, he can always throw it away).
Because Kubiak is subconsciously limiting Schaub with Kube's own backup QB mentality. Kube's doesn't want to limit. He trusts Schaub. He trusts Schaub as much as Dan Reeves trusted him. And I'm basing this, now, off of studying the obvious psychological tells that Kubiak puts off, regardless of his offensive genius (and he is). As every man has faults, this is Kubes' biggest...bigger than the good-ol'-boy mentality.

I'm not even knocking Kubes here, because of course I admit I'm speaking in the abstract. Still, I believe Kubiak will live or die by that sword, until he gets a QB who he feels is way better than he ever was as a player. Until then, he will continue to dote over his backup QBs, a bit too much, much to the love of Yates and Keenum.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote