View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013   #22
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Figuring Out Sonic Sam Montgomery

Rookie linebacker eager to fit in on Texans' defense
Montgomery seeking out advice from veterans

Quote:
ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay had him as the 19th and 14th overall selection, respectively. Kiper called him "a proven, high-motor defender with pass-rushing skills."

But as the draft process progressed and teams spent time with him, Montgomery dropped...
Quote:
Now trying to work his way into a big role on the Texans' defense, Montgomery seeks the guidance of the veterans around him, especially one with whom he feels a special kinship. The outside linebacker speaks of his alter ego, Sonic the Hedgehog, so naturally he felt drawn to defensive end Antonio Smith, who calls himself the ninja warrior.

Beyond the goofiness, though, is a tinge of sadness - Sonic the Hedgehog was a game he played with his older brother, who died five years ago - a show of solidarity and an eagerness to improve.
Quote:
...Even though Smith doesn't play his position, Montgomery values his advice.

"He keeps on teaching me everything," Montgomery said. "Being aggressive, doing different things, improving my game from small tech points, encouraging words, coming out here ready to fight and going 110 percent every day. Hand techniques, finishing blocks. Also playing with aggressive and violent hands.

"It's a different type of aggressive in the NFL. It's like an abusive aggressive on the field. He's teaching me what I need in detail and trying to critique my violence to be abusive."
read the complete article: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...6104accba496f0
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote