View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013   #31
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
How can you declare this a "bad idea" when no one knows what the numbers (length & $$/yr) will be??

There's no way he'll get a Schaub-level extension (money-level, I mean) because DT/DE hybrids just don't make that kind of $$. The guys over at BattleRedBlog are thinking this level of money...

That doesn't sound outrageous to me.

...unless you're thinking of low-balling Ninja to set the stage to low-ball Cush and J.J. when their time comes.
Why on earth would Antonio sign that deal? He could do much better on the free market next year, assuming he doesn't have a big injury. 4.33m a year average would put him in the range of guys like Ray Macdonald, Mike Devito, Jason Babin and Osi Umenyoria. The 5.75 guaranteed is pretty low, and is less than the salary he supposed to make this year. He could do better than that.

I think if he were to hit the open market right now, he would get somewhere in the range of 3 years 18-20m. He's worth about 6m a year to a 3-4 team, assuming he doesn't take a nosedive this year. He restructured his deal to help the team a couple years ago, and now his 2013 cap hit is a bit higher than it should be. The Texans need a bit more capspace to finish signing rookies, so this is the logical choice to free up some cash. I just hope they don't overpay the guy and regret it for the next 4 years.