View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013   #86
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates vs Case Keenum (Training Camp/Pre season 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTex View Post
If Texans didnt anticipate local fanatic support or "circus" when acquiring Keenum, and consider that to be a big distraction, they shouldnt have brought him in. They could have stayed with the subtle route of Yates or gone with someone else.

He's on the team. If he belongs and is worthy of #2 depth spot, then thats where you put him regardless of attention. If Keenum is ever a legit playable option, there won't really be a "perfect time" to do it without attention. Its just gonna come with the territory.

Might sound odd but, I think Kubiak is playing it right. He's saying that its hard COMPETITION AGAINST his starting QB as a THREAT. But he's not directly MARGINALIZING his accomplished starting QB (like how everyone wants). Its letting everyone know its a business all the same.

If this was a rebuilding team then the fan favorite support would actually work as a marketing charm as long as Keenum doesnt completely suck. But since its a WIN-NOW team for the SB, then Keenum just better be GOOD ENOUGH to fit into that plan.

There still won't be anything wrong with Yates as backup and Keenum 3rd string, it'd still mean he's moved up and another year closer.
there is more talk on this message baord about Case Keenum than anywhere else. He IS NOT some sort of distraction because the 2% of Texans fans who care about both coog football and the texans mention him more than if he went to East Carolina or Arkansas State or Idaho. I have a first thing first attitude toawrds him. he managed to stick around last year (good), he is at least challenging TJ yates (good), let him clearly out play TJ Yates and win the 2nd job.