View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013   #3
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Garbage Time Strategy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
in comparison to all other teams. It is evident from this very interesting breakdown I found by PROFOOTBALLFOCUS that not only are the Texans near the top of the "conservative" play list of the NFL under "normal" circumstances, but also that they become more conservative in garbage time........even when behind.

It begs the question if going forward, as the NFL distinctly has transformed more and more into a "passing league," if this will leave us in the dust as a modern day dinosaur.
Well, how many WRs have we drafted over the last two years vs. the previous six?

First Six Years:
2006 - David Anderson (7th)
2007 - Jacoby Jones (3rd)
2008 - none
2009 - none (although we drafted two TEs, Casey & A.Hill in the fourth and fifth rounds. I'd say those guys weren't truly passing game weapons)
2010 - Trindon Holliday (6th and I'd agrue he was picked for his return potential more than his WR-ing potential) and two more TEs, Graham (4th) and Dickerson (7th)
2011 - none

Last Two:
2012 - Devier Posey (3rd - highest since Jacoby) and Keyshawn Martin (4th)
2013 - DeAndre Hopkins (1st) and Alan Bonner (6th)

I ask because, looking at the draft capital spent on WRs, you could argue a shift (or at least an awakening) may well be taking place over on Kirby. Kubiak & Co. has been here for eight drafts; two true WRs in the first six years, four in the past two drafts.

By way of contrast, Capers & Casserly picked up a WR in the draft every year they were here and, admittedly, hit the jackpot on one of them. (a saying about blind hogs and acorns comes to mind)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote