View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early 2014 Mock Drafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
1) Like BB, I don't think CB is a need. Maybe things will change, but I have confidence in JJo and KJax, with Harris, Carmichael and McCain backing them up. I dont have a problem looking for a home run later in the draft, but I dont think spending a first is a good idea.

2) Love CJ! Excellent choice, IMO.

3&4) I dont know much about these guys, but I like upgrading the DL. I think NT is a must draft, as I dont think Mitchell will show us that he is a starting-caliber player. I might pick up the DE a little later though, as we do have Crick waiting in the wings, and Smith might be signed to a new deal soon.

I disagree on the need at CB, but that's what this forum is all about. JJo is already the 2nd highest paid player in 2013 and only gets more expensive each year. His 2013 cap hit is 11.25 mil., and with Cushing a FA at the end of this season, a possible extension to Antonio, Earl Mitchell will also be a FA, and the team has to be thinking about and structuring the team for Watts next contract. Also I don't trust Kubiaks praise for players this time of year, we all know he pumps alot of sunshine this time of year.

If Antonio Smith does get extended then it would obviously affect our need at DE, but again a rookie is alot cheaper than a veteran and theirs a monster contract looming on the horizon (Watt) that this team has to start preparing for. I see our biggest needs in next years draft as being DE, CB, DT, WR depth, ILB depth, and S depth. I think next years draft will be very heavy on defense.

@BB, I like Andrew Jackson-ILB the player but I don't think he fits our 3-4 scheme. He looks to me like a 4-3 MLB stuffing the run, not a 3-4 ILB that quite often drops into pass coverage of TE's and RB's. Also with the NFL becoming more and more of a passing league each year, I think that old fashioned run stuffing ILB/MLB is becoming a thing of the past. The game is a changing.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote