View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reports: Mutual Interest in Antonio Smith Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No. Smith has been great the last two years. Consider he's a DT, not a DE. He had great numbers for a DT or your traditional 3-4 DE, which he plays.

Those numbers from a true DE, a 4-3 DE, or the way JjWatt plays his position, wouldn't be anything to write home about. But as an interior player, which Smith is, Watt is not (except on passing downs) Smith had a very solid season. He's basically playing Warren Sapp's position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Antonio Smith is a beast and he has been playing great football. From a comparison standpoint, he looks like a slacker compared to JJ but... EVERYONE looks like a slacker compared to JJ. For his position, Smith has been putting up great numbers.

He's a great player and I don't want to lose him anytime soon.
Don't get me wrong, I like Antonio Smith and hope the Texans keep him, as well.

I guess I was just kinda' surprised to see them described as "best end tandems in the league". But then again, just about anyone with J.J. Watt would be in the running since J.J. is such a phenom.

I guess my perception is that Antonio should have been even more of an impact with J.J. taking up so much attention on the other side. There were times last season when opposing QBs looked like they were getting too much time in the pocket. And with J.J. getting double, and even triple teamed, there should have been more consistent pressure on the pocket.