View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Looking a couple of years into the Texans future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
This is what happens when your team drafts too well. The Texans have done a good job of building through the draft but now have to make some tough decisions on who to keep and who let go.

I'm not at all against letting Schaub go after next season but I really hope AJ gets a better fate than being a salary cap casualty. He's been the most important part of this team for 10 years. I hope he retires a Texan.
I'm afraid that, with the cap situation in the NFL the way it is, all teams, especially the contending ones, are faced with with making "tough decisions." The teams that will contend year in and year out will be the ones that consistently draft well, manage their cap by making "tough decisions," and don't go after high priced or big name FA's, unless they are willing to come at a lower price for the chance to win a title. So far the Texans seem to be following this pattern, at least for the past few years. I know there has been much debate on this MB about Rick Smith and his drafts, but since 2009 he has, to me anyway, consistently drafted well. And that is the key, I think, to sustaining a good team and having a chance to win titles.

As for AJ, I hope he retires a Texan too, and I hope he wins at least 1 SB with them. But, it's rare when something like that happens. Earl never won a SB and didn't get to retire an Oiler. Akeem did win 2 titles with the Rockets but even he didn't get to retire as one. Bagwell and Biggio spent their whole careers with the Stros but never won a WS. A lot has to go right for it to happen. I hope it does for AJ.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote