View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013   #169
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Would that be the same Wade that started Cody over Mitchell all that time? Neither are all that great, but are stop-gap until the Texans no longer have more pressing needs.

Definitely onboard with this. Barwin was "ineffective" at best.
Kind of contrasting statements.

Barwin did nothing all last year and yet no one else was really given a chance. I understand Merciless was a rookie last year, but he didn't start taking reps away from Barwin really...No one else got a chance either.

I think Braman can do more on the edge that Barwin or Reed and he's not really been given a chance until this off season.

Barwin and Reed did almost nothing last year and no one really got a chance to replace them.

Shilo Keo was kept on the roster over Troy Nolan. Yet when we picked up Nolan again due to Demps injury, Nolan played over Keo.

There are a lot of politics on a football team and sometimes there are more talented players waiting in the weeds that just aren't given the chance. We see it all the time.

Now, I know Earl has played some, but he hasn't been the man at the position before. The fact that he wasn't given a chance to start ahead of Cody is hardly evidence that he's not a better player or won't become a better player now that he will get more snaps.

And if you're going to look at the coaches actions as evidence, who exactly is your starting NT right now? Cody was not brought back and no one else of significance was added. They didn't draft one high in the draft. Didn't sign any Free agents.

My opinion is that Earl will be a good NT. A plus player. I think Cody held the point better than Mitchell because he had better leverage. But I don't thin Earl sucks in that regard. But in every other aspect, I think Earl is superior. He's a far better pass rusher, and he's much better at making plays down the line. He's more active at the position than Cody was. I don't know if he's going to be a super star....But I do think he's going to be good.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote