View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013   #160
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Anti arguments for Mitchell improving?

His individual PFF numbers in limited time have stayed about the same the entire time he's been with the team.
If he was that good, he'd already be seeing the field more than he had.
In the games that Cody was out, the defense played poorly, and his individual numbers via PFF are sort of average.
Under Wade's defense, DTs can excel, make Pro Bowls. Nothing in EM's performance to date suggests that will happen.
Sometimes with more snaps, a player improves, but often it exposes their weaknesses unless they are an outstanding player.

I think the arguments for EM having a "breakout year" are wishful thinking. I think they may have a rotation of guys, and just hope that it isn't something that is exposed.
I doubt he'll have a breakout year as well but still not seeing where he has to. Just like you brought up the defense played poor when Cody was out but Cody could have been healthy it wouldn't have mattered. He wouldn't have been on the field anyway but partially. The NT is not out there for the spread formations so his presence would have meant little hence what I disagree on. Plus Mitchell's grades in those games were actually positive. In fact, he has had more positive graded games than Cody.

Even in 2011 in a possible 1168 defensive snaps Cody got only 451. I would say the fact time was shared means Mitchell actually did show the coaches something otherwise he wouldn't have seen so much time. When Cody was down did Mitchell have to share time? Nope because no one else warranted it except spot duty.

Since we're talking PFF:

2011 Cody ranked 62nd among DT/NT Overall grade -2.8
2011 Mitchell ranked 64th among DT/NT Overall grade -3.4

Not much difference there.

2012 Cody ranked 63rd Overall grade -4.0
2012 Mitchell ranked 47th Overall grade 1.8

So actually Mitchell's PFF grade did improve unless you're going back to the time before Wade. I'm only focusing on the time with Wade here in a new defensive approach and a coach who actually knows how to tie his shoes unlike the previous incarnations we had here lol.

In any case it illustrates an actual improvement on Mitchell's part. Plus I guess I just find the whole Cody thing a reach. He wasn't good. He was a below average guy in this defense that had a moment here and there so I just can't see how Mitchell can't do the same thing. He already has actually so to me the only difference is we had two servicable guys at the spot where as now we only have one that we know of.

Guess comes down to how you want to view it. Are you looking for a heavy impact guy or someone servicable? Cody was only servicable and I am probably being generous saying that. I don't expect Mitchell to be anything more than that. Anything more is gravy which always is a good topping.

Anyway, nice talk! Feel like I drag it off topic lol. Thanks for the updates from all by the way.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote