View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013   #158
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
And when Cody went out to injury, and the Dline rotation was thin, the defense looked unfortunate. Mitchell's individual grades went up with more opportunity, but not great, and the defense had two of its worst games.
I wouldn't put that as part of your equation on the NT because they played about half the defensive snaps. They weren't part of the issue in those games. I think it has been well documented that Wade does generally not keep the NT out there on passing downs/spread formations and our worse defensive efforts came against the spread meaning the NT doesn't have that much of an impact.

For example, one of those games was Jacksonville part deux. Total defensive snaps was 68. Earl Mitchell only had 36 of those snaps (4 went to McClain)

Detroit was the other. Total defensive snaps around 91. Mitchell was in 41 (McClain 2). In fact, our 3rd safety was in more with Demps in there for 51 snaps. It's one reason why I tell others that the Swearinger pick is more important than they realize.

That means the position has less impact than most are making it out to be. Important? Course as every position is. At the same time not like a team can afford to pay every spot so you have weigh the importance of each in your scheme. For ours and against todays NFL the NT is not that impactful unless Wade switches things up which I am guessing would take one hell of a NT to make happen. Those aren't easy to find (or should we say afford lol).

Heck, against the Packers and Patriots part deux we didn't even start the NT. We immediately leaped into Wade's passing defense. So I'm okay with Mitchell as being 'servicable' because that is about all he is at this point. At the same time we could use something behind him as we have saw little of McClain to say much. I'm thinking Crick may get in there more than we think.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote