View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Except, Steph, that in your blog you cited that Earl Mitchell was ranked the 47th best DT in the NFL, with only 3 starts and spot duty in 2012. That’s 31 tackles for Mitchell in 2012 to Cody’s 17 tackles in 12 starts. I wouldn’t call that Mitchell’s writing-on-the-wall; still, as an adjective, “encouraging” would be my pick of the litter.

The stats don’t make Mitchell an all-pro baller. Indeed, they might be more an indictment on Cody’s play when we boil it to bone. Maybe. See, it’s difficult to make projections, yet with Mitchell I ran the ticker and I was surprised at what a quiet little bruiser he’s been as a non-starter. To wit:

Earl Mitchell - Career stats - 86 tackles - 2 sacks - 1FF – 4 Pdef. 3 Seasons – 3 starts

Shuan Cody - Career stats - 190 tackles - 3 sacks - 2 FFs – 9Pdef. 8 Seasons – 68 starts

What I’m missing is TFL stats; nevertheless, I would call Mitchell an upgrade, and if we deem him an upgrade, by inference, I would say he’s at least “encouraging” going into 2013.

I know it’s goofy; moreover, I hated the Mitchell pick at #81 when we could have had Geno Atkins at #120; yet, just for giggles I ran Mitchell’s numbers at his current pace over a 12 year career (as a backup, mind you) and I came up with 344 tackles and 8 sacks. That looks a lot like Casey Hampton, who over 12 years is at 373 tackles and 9 sacks, as a starter with 161 more starts than Mitchell.

I hate to nitpick, but I think I’m On The Nose with this one – at least as far as potential.
I think you should be punched On The Nose for abusing statistics like that.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote