View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013   #139
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Except, Steph, that in your blog you cited that Earl Mitchell was ranked the 47th best DT in the NFL, with only 3 starts and spot duty in 2012. That’s 31 tackles for Mitchell in 2012 to Cody’s 17 tackles in 12 starts. I wouldn’t call that Mitchell’s writing-on-the-wall; still, as an adjective, “encouraging” would be my pick of the litter.

The stats don’t make Mitchell an all-pro baller. Indeed, they might be more an indictment on Cody’s play when we boil it to bone. Maybe. See, it’s difficult to make projections, yet with Mitchell I ran the ticker and I was surprised at what a quiet little bruiser he’s been as a non-starter. To wit:

Earl Mitchell - Career stats - 86 tackles - 2 sacks - 1FF – 4 Pdef. 3 Seasons – 3 starts

Shuan Cody - Career stats - 190 tackles - 3 sacks - 2 FFs – 9Pdef. 8 Seasons – 68 starts

What I’m missing is TFL stats; nevertheless, I would call Mitchell an upgrade, and if we deem him an upgrade, by inference, I would say he’s at least “encouraging” going into 2013.

I know it’s goofy; moreover, I hated the Mitchell pick at #81 when we could have had Geno Atkins at #120; yet, just for giggles I ran Mitchell’s numbers at his current pace over a 12 year career (as a backup, mind you) and I came up with 344 tackles and 8 sacks. That looks a lot like Casey Hampton, who over 12 years is at 373 tackles and 9 sacks, as a starter with 161 more starts than Mitchell.

I hate to nitpick, but I think I’m On The Nose with this one – at least as far as potential.
Put the stats down man they are making you goofy! Mitchell SUCKS with a capital S. At least he has so far. Maybe he can become something more who knows. But if you think you can multiply his stats and then compare him to Hampton, one of the top NT's in the league you are crazy. That is just silly!!