View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
...but you can rest assured that the Texans did not draft Montgomery (3rd round) or Williams (4th round) thinking..."We got our day one starter at the other OLB position." You would have a rookie and second year player at the OLB positions. At the very most they are hoping with very little confidence, but not counting on having either one of those rookies starting. This is not DeAndre Hopkins we are talking about. There might be a lot of talk about Reed moving inside but that is not the best case scenario given our current personnel.
I'd feel much better if the Texans are following my line of thinking.

vs NewEngland, both times, we all felt the OLBs had to contribute & help Jj Watt. Didn't happen in either game. We seem to be "fine" lumping it all on Matt Schaub, but the truth is we need more from the outside pass rush. Those two guys (Watt & Smith) couldn't have had a better season & we got relatively squat from the outside.

Maybe Mercilus will grow into the guy we need him to be. I'm fine with that, but we do not need to put all our eggs in one basket. Putting those eggs in the Whitney & Brooks basket is just as pointless.

Start Merci, that's a move in the right direction. Move Reed inside, he'll be just as good as anything we had at ILB last year not named Brian Cushing. Then we've got Braman, Montgomery, & Williams to round out our OLB & hopefully one of those guys will make some noise.

At most, I would think they believe Williams will be able to come off the bench & pressure the QB in Merci's old limited role. Hopefully Braman will start & give us what Reed did on the outside at the very least. & Hopefully Montgomery will push Braman for the starting job.