View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Kubiak quotes:

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on the first week of OTAs) “It was really good. I’m excited. Our young guys have come a long way. I think the five practices they got in the mini-camp really helped them. It’s been good. We had some good work; not too hot. So, make it through and come back next Tuesday and get going again.”

(on if he’s keeping a close eye on how much the young players grasp) “Yeah. As a matter of fact, I told the team after practice, I think one of the keys to longevity in this League success-wise is young players getting better real quick. It’s fun for me right now to sit here and watch (WR) Keshawn (Martin), to watch (CB) Roc (Carmichael), (DE) Delano (Johnson), (G) Brandon Brooks all of the sudden become pros at a very young age. If we’re going to keep going, be consistent at what we’re doing, guys like that have to step up and contribute right away. I like what I see. I think some young guys have really come in here a lot better football player right now than they were last year.”

(on OLB Brooks Reed) “He’s doing great. First off, boy, bless him. He probably feels like a yo-yo sometimes; he’s bounced around a little bit. We thought it was important that he took his reps inside with where we’re at as a team right now. He’s fine. I mean, he has no problem mentally. He’s looked really good and he’s healthy. He’s coming off that surgery but he’s doing good. For the better of the team right now, that’s where he’s working. He’s doing a good job.”

(on CB Brandon Harris’ injury status) “He’s fine. We’re putting him through the protocol that you would do during the regular season. A guy gets dinged like that, gets knocked out like he did, we’ll put him through the total protocol. You probably won’t see him for a good week as he goes through the process.”

(on what he has seen from WR Keshawn Martin) “It’s automatic for him now. All his talent has taken over because he doesn’t have to work so hard at the little things; assignment, those type of things. He just comes out here and plays. Very confident young man and it shows. It shows every day.”

(on if there is more pressure on QB Matt Schaub after the team has gone to the same round of the playoffs two years in a row) “I think the pressure is the same all the time. I don’t think it changes. (QB) Matt’s (Schaub) goal is to win a championship and we’ve got to get a team that can get that done. He’s got his job to do with the football team. Right now, this time of year, it’s about chemistry of the team. Putting this 2013 group together, we’re going to be different, we’re going to have a different personality and trying to start to put that together.”

(on OLB Whitney Mercilus) “He’s done really good. First off, you can tell he’s confident. Whitney has probably talked more in a day than he did all last year. He’s coming out of his shell from that standpoint. He’s another player; here’s a second-year guy that’s being asked to become a great player real quick. If we’re going to get to where we want to go, those are the type of things that have to happen. He’s off to a good start.”

(on how OLB Sam Montgomery looks dropping into coverage) “He’s doing fine. The position he’s playing, he’s not asked to drop a lot. He has gotten in better shape. I think he struggled the first camp we had that weekend. So he’s in much better shape and then his ability starts to take over. I think he’s progressing well, he and (OLB) Trevardo (Williams) both.”

(on if he plans to change the rotation on the right side of the offensive line from last season) “I’ll do what I think is best for our team and I don’t know what that is right now. (G) Brandon (Brooks) is working as the starting right guard. (T Derek) Newton is out. (T) Brennan Williams has not been able to practice. (T) Ryan Harris is on the right side. We have a lot of things going on right now, but if we have two solid starters that are consistent throughout the course of camp, then that’s the way we’ll go. But I think with what we went through last year, I think those young guys did a hell of a job.”

(on if QB Matt Schaub looks 100 percent) “Yeah. He looks fine to me. He’s had a good offseason. Obviously, he hasn’t missed anything; plays all last year. I kind of forgot about him missing OTAs last year. But I think it’s important no matter how long you play, I think you need to get out here and get some reps in. I’ve got to protect some of these guys and give them days off here or there, some of these older guys throughout these 10 days. But I think it’s important that he goes through OTAs again.”

(on how RB Arian Foster has changed) “How long has (RB) Arian (Foster) been with me now? Four years? Maybe having the best offseason I’ve seen him have. He’s doing something a little different training-wise. He’d have to tell you what he’s doing. I think he looks a little slimmer. I don’t know if he weighs (different). But he just looks a little different, how he’s carrying his weight. He’s been excellent throughout the course of the offseason; expects a lot of himself.”

(on if he’s intending to bring in competition for the kicking position) “Well, the young man we have here now can do both. (P Andrew) Shapiro can do both. But the way camp is set up now with the numbers, whoever that other guy is, and so our other guy is Shapiro, you want him to build it. Do both to take something off the punter and your kicker so you can use those roster spots somewhere else. Our plan is to go to camp that way and let them both compete against him because he’s a kid that’s done both pretty well in college.”

(on what he’s seen specifically from WR Keshawn Martin that has changed) “These three days have been very impressive to me. I just see a guy that, year two, nothing’s hard for him anymore. He understands everything that’s going on so he just comes out here and works and gets better every day. Me sitting (WR) Andre (Johnson) every other day makes him a starter, too, from that standpoint. I’m really excited about what I’ve seen these past three days.”

(on if drafting a wide receiver in the first round may have lit a fire under some of the younger receivers) “I’m sure. You’re (WR) Lestar (Jean) and (WR) Keshawn (Martin) and you’ve been working all last year and we draft a one and he goes in the huddle with the first group. That’ll get you going. But I don’t think in this case that’s what’s happened with them. I think that they’ve been workers the whole time. I think they see opportunity. I think that’s what they see and when guys get opportunities you usually find out what they have.”

(on what is different about QB Case Keenum) “Confidence. Just confidence. Just watching him operate knowing exactly what he’s doing, making all the calls. He’s going to be fun to watch. He’s very competitive right now. That’s a good thing for our team.”

(on QB Case Keenum saying head coach Gary Kubiak’s praise for him changes nothing) “He’s a good kid. I remember talking to (Kevin Sumlin) about him and (Kliff) Kingsbury about him and they said you can say anything you want to him. He’s heard it all. So I’m going to assume they coached him pretty darn hard. He’s doing a good job. He’s come a long way.”

(on if he is bothered at the criticism of QB Matt Schaub following the loss in the playoffs) “Well, we were there because of him. Hell, that’s part of playing quarterback. It just makes you better, pushes you every day. It’s part of your career, part of your makeup. He’s doing fine. He’s had a really good three days.”

(on if he feels he doesn’t need to defend QB Matt Schaub because that’s just the way people are about quarterbacks) “I think it’s part of the job. If you can’t take a little of that in this business, you’re probably not going to last very long. That’s what it’s all about.”

(on if he worries about situations and injuries to players in OTAs like that suffered by San Francisco 49ers WR Michael Crabtree) “Yeah, you do. You get 10 days and to be honest with you, you hold your breath every day. You want to get better as a team. You catch all the young guys up but freak accidents happen. We had (TE Phillip) Supernaw and (NT) Sunny (Harris) the first day. (We) weren’t even in a team period, just running an individual drill and both of them hurt their foot. It’s part of football but it’s the bad part. That’s why you’ll always hear us on their tail to stay of the ground, to protect each other. I think it’s about respect. We usually do a pretty good job but they get tired and those things happen, unfortunately.”