View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013   #104
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Completely agree. I hear folks talk about experience but when have we had much experience on the outside anyway? Third year in this system so none of our guys have a ton. Ironically, Barwin and Reed did better when they didn't have any experience as 3-4 OLB's. Go figure. Experience means nothing if you can't produce and right now I'm not overly anxious to see Reed outside again.

I doubt it. They invested two picks in OLB this year, Merci last year and Braman on roster. That right there is four guys not going anywhere. That means they already have a heavy investment in the position moreso than ILB where they made no moves. What they want is Montgomery or Williams to establish themselves because they become much more flexible if Reed slides inside giving them more balance. Plus it makes those two picks wasted and personnel folks can't stand that.

And while Sharpton is an 'okay' player he isn't very solid or that good. He's a good rotational guy but barely different than Dobbins (if at all). Might as well what Dobbins starting. I think Reed can give more at the spot but nothing to base that on really. Not to forget that a large gust of wind may break Sharpton in half *knocks on wood*
The exact group of people picked all the players discussed in the top 4 rounds of the draft, so wasted draft picks is not relevant at all.

while they drafted OLBs, that does not mean they are excited about starting 3rd/4th round rookies. Kubes and co are more conservative than not and I believe that would rather start "known" quantities Reed and Sharpton unless the rookie or Reed (inside) plays well beyond current expectation.