View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lunt not allowed to transfer to Big 12,SEC, or Southern Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I think they're putting these restrictions on him not so much for him, but to eliminate issues with others in the future:
- No Southern Mississippi: So that coaches can't leave and take their favorite OSU players with them. Otherwise you'd find coaches leaving and convincing some of their favorite players to move with them. Would be a horrible precedent.
- No SEC: So that players can't use OSU as a stepping stone to a more prominent conference. More debatable, but you don't want players to think "I can go to OSU for now, and then later move on up to the SEC". I know there's a lot of debate about whether the SEC is really "up", but I think that's a somewhat common perception and allowing a move might again set a pretty bad precedent that a program could be a stepping stone. I bet they'd rather have said no transfer to a "better" program, but there's not an easy way to define that.
- No Big12: No transfer to a conference rival (and also potentially to "better" programs, like with the SEC) - probably the most obvious.
Unless schools/conferences/the NCAA levy those same restrictions on coaches, then, as 2012Champs said, the system is completely broken.
...and has been forever.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote