View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking Down the Houston Texans’ 2010 Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
First, you say Graham only has 29 catches in 3 years, but what you fail to mention is that he had 28 of those last year with 269 yards and 3 TD's in his 1st year as the 2nd TE. He had Dreessen and Casey in front of him his 1st 2 years, so he wasn't going to see the field much. They're gone now, so he'll be used a lot more and will probably be the #1 TE when OD's contract is up.
In 3 years he has 29 catches. There is nothing misleading about that, it's a fact. Yeah, we didn't use him much his first two years, which is surprising for a 4th round pick, don't ya think? And don't you think the guys in the OP article are trying to account for things like production, games started, TDs, and turnovers when grading these players? Fact is Graham hasn't done much, one year of production is not a lot for a 4th rounder.

Quote:
Second, you say we got 1 starter and a couple of depth guys out of that draft. That's not really true. Mitchell is the starting NT now and Sharpton may be the other starting ILB next to Cushing if he's healthy. Also, Graham is considered a starter in 2 TE sets which the Texans play a lot of.
And in 5 WR sets Devier Posey, Keyshawn Martin and Lestar Jean were starters last year! Woohoo!

Keep on movin' those goal posts...

Quote:
Third, if you are implying that Marciano is one of "Gary's friends" and was hired by Gary you would be wrong. Marciano was not hired by Gary or Rick Smith. He was here before both and was kept because he was a good ST coach. True, he had a bad year last year, and cutting Holliday didn't help. But, Marciano wanted to keep Holliday and I think Gary did too, but when Cush went down they had to find help at ILB and Holliday became expendable as the 6th WR. I think they know what the problem is on ST's (blocking and covering) and we should see much improvement this season. If not, then I think Marciano will be gone.
Marciano is clearly not here for his coaching talent any longer, so I can only assume it's because he's buddies with Gary and company. It is an assumption on my part, but I honestly can't think of a practical reason why Joe is still employed. He should have been replaced after this piss poor season and the embarrassing lack of production from apparently talented returners in Holliday and Jones.

Quote:
You can call me a "sunshine pumper" if you want
I will, thanks.

Quote:
but I think Smith, Kubes, and now Phillips have done pretty well drafting. Smith has come a long way since 2007 drafting Okoye, and I think he'll get better and better. Since 07, all of his 1st rounders are solid starters, and 3 of them are Pro-Bowlers. And, if you think the Texans 2010 draft was bad just look at the rest of the division with the Colts, Jags, and Tits. Their 2010 drafts look horrible. And by the way, all of the Texans picks from 2010 are still in the league; McManis is at Chicago (Traded for Tyler Clutts), Shelley Smith is at St Louis, Holliday, of course, is at Denver, and Dorin Dickerson is at Buffalo.
mid·dling (mdlng, -ln) adj.
1. Of medium size, position, or quality.
2. Mediocre. See Synonyms at average.

I did not say the draft was terrible, I said it was another middling draft. Average, mediocre, ordinary, take your pick. For what the TEXANS got out of that draft, it ain't much. You can compare it to our division if you want, but there are 28 other teams in the NFL that stand in our way to success. If the best teams in the league keep drafting better than us, then we aren't gaining ground on anyone important.