View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Breaking Down the Houston Texans’ 2010 Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think he just didn't have anything to say about him because Graham has done little since he's been drafted. Dude has been here 3 years and has 29 catches. We got 1 starter, and a couple depth guys out of 9 picks. Whoop dee ****in doo.

In the previous sentence the author talks about Sharpton and him needing to stay healthy, then says the later round picks aren't on the team. Well Sharpton was a 4th round pick, same round as Graham, so you could infer he was talking about rounds beyond the fourth... or you could just pick a nit in their analysis, and disregard the fact that they are giving a relatively objective view of our team's middling draft.

I know the sunshine pumpers aren't gonna like it, but this draft is another example of why Rick Smith is an average GM. A guy like Holliday really could have helped make this draft better if we had a good special teams unit and coach around them, but instead we keep going with the same old song and dance of Gary's friends. We kind of knew what we had in Holliday during his second year, but obviously failed to capitalize on it. Now he's in Denver (an AFCC contender no less) and we know exactly what we had in him. We have glaring issues at special teams and nothing is being done to fix it, so look for them to draft another returner next year cause that's obviously the problem!
Dutch, I have to say some of your statements are misleading.

First, you say Graham only has 29 catches in 3 years, but what you fail to mention is that he had 28 of those last year with 269 yards and 3 TD's in his 1st year as the 2nd TE. He had Dreessen and Casey in front of him his 1st 2 years, so he wasn't going to see the field much. They're gone now, so he'll be used a lot more and will probably be the #1 TE when OD's contract is up.

Second, you say we got 1 starter and a couple of depth guys out of that draft. That's not really true. Mitchell is the starting NT now and Sharpton may be the other starting ILB next to Cushing if he's healthy. Also, Graham is considered a starter in 2 TE sets which the Texans play a lot of.

Third, if you are implying that Marciano is one of "Gary's friends" and was hired by Gary you would be wrong. Marciano was not hired by Gary or Rick Smith. He was here before both and was kept because he was a good ST coach. True, he had a bad year last year, and cutting Holliday didn't help. But, Marciano wanted to keep Holliday and I think Gary did too, but when Cush went down they had to find help at ILB and Holliday became expendable as the 6th WR. I think they know what the problem is on ST's (blocking and covering) and we should see much improvement this season. If not, then I think Marciano will be gone.

You can call me a "sunshine pumper" if you want but I think Smith, Kubes, and now Phillips have done pretty well drafting. Smith has come a long way since 2007 drafting Okoye, and I think he'll get better and better. Since 07, all of his 1st rounders are solid starters, and 3 of them are Pro-Bowlers. And, if you think the Texans 2010 draft was bad just look at the rest of the division with the Colts, Jags, and Tits. Their 2010 drafts look horrible. And by the way, all of the Texans picks from 2010 are still in the league; McManis is at Chicago (Traded for Tyler Clutts), Shelley Smith is at St Louis, Holliday, of course, is at Denver, and Dorin Dickerson is at Buffalo.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote