View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: June cuts Texans interested in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Once the Texans sign all their draft picks and pare down to the 53-man roster, they will have approximately $1.7M in cap space according to my estimation (using the firgures from spotrac.)

When they sign a FA, they would need to cut a player, freeing up an additional $500K (a lowly regarded player at the bottom of the salary structure.)

Cutting Wade Smith would free up $3M in cap space, according to spotrac.
The available cap space would then be $5.2M

Bishop's contract will require roughly $4M in 2013.
Hampton took a pay cut last year; he earned some $2.8M.
He may take even less this year.

On the surface, it looks like the Texans don't have enough to sign both;
However, if they rework Bishop's contract (with an extension perhaps), they can fit both under the cap - if all the figures from spotrac are true.
I'd be surprised if both Jones and Brandon Brooks start. I just don't see Smith leaving, if nothing else he remains as a back up.

Bishop's salary per Spotrac: $3,464,000 with an incentive bonus of $300k and work out bonus of $200k that may or not be part of a reworked contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/