View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013   #134
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I tend to agree with tru80texan...I hear what Wade is saying about his system but color me skeptical of his optimism.

Most teams struggle defensively when facing teams who run spread type formations / offenses. But b/c his defenses rely so heavily on pressuring the qb and him not asking his OLB's to cover a ton is the chief reason his defenses really struggle when we face spread offenses. This is largely b/c he has to adjust from his 5-2 aggressive pressure look to a less aggressive package. See the NO game in 2011 and of course the GB and NE games from 2012. All those teams spread you out and force you to adjust and each of those games we gave up 30+ points......fairly quickly and fairly easily. That my friends is a trend....a bad trend.
Couldn't disagree with both of you more.

When wade goes to his packages to defend against the pass the OLB's drop down and just become regular ol' edge rushing DE's. The OLb's have very little to do with pass coverage other than providing pressure.

The reason we struggled against those teams is because 1) they have great QB's and it's not unusual for them to play well 2) our edge pass rush has not been all that good 3) we've had trouble covering in the middle area of the field
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote