View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013   #133
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

I tend to agree with tru80texan...I hear what Wade is saying about his system but color me skeptical of his optimism.

Most teams struggle defensively when facing teams who run spread type formations / offenses. But b/c his defenses rely so heavily on pressuring the qb and him not asking his OLB's to cover a ton is the chief reason his defenses really struggle when we face spread offenses. This is largely b/c he has to adjust from his 5-2 aggressive pressure look to a less aggressive package. See the NO game in 2011 and of course the GB and NE games from 2012. All those teams spread you out and force you to adjust and each of those games we gave up 30+ points......fairly quickly and fairly easily. That my friends is a trend....a bad trend.

Sure you can say "well, NO, GB and NE each have top 5 qbs and that was really the difference.." & to that i say "well, true...but that's kinda the point..."

If we struggle with terrible teams like JAX and DET that have below average to mediocore qbs that run spread type packages the majority of the time, we basically have next to 0 shot against teams who run those same spread type offenses and have elite qb play. If Wade (and Kubiak for that matter) insist on continuing to do what they do against mediocore teams then we'll most assuredly continued to get shred by big plays on defense and get shut down on offense at the most inopportune times. Good qbs and good teams simply won't allow you to do that...at least not as often as you may do it against bad teams.

We are now at that stage in our development where we are trying to ascend from good to great. And from here on out, we're only going to be able to do that by beating the top teams with top qbs. Adjustments need to be made & i just don't think Wade or Kubiak truly understand that.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote