View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013   #130
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Lets be serious here.

Bradie James has never been as good as Demeco Ryans. Why would he be able to be as good as him on the downside of his career?

The problem with Demeco was his playing time and production didn't justify his contract.

Bradie James was brought in to be a second or third ILB. Not the everydown guy he ended up having to be.

I disagree on your assessment of the OLB's in pass coverage. Yeah, there might be a time or two where they are covering down field, but for the most part it's coverage in the flats. There hasn't been a game where a team abused our OLB's in coverage so I think that concern is misguided...JMO.

The ILB's have far greater pass coverage responsibilities. Those are the guys you see lined up on RB's when they motion out. Those are the guys that are trailing TE's up the seams.

And I don't believe Brooks Reed solves anything at ILB besides being a decent run stopper. I don't believe Brooks Reed will be on this team past his rookie contract unless he shows great improvement because I don't believe he's that good. He's solid against the run, but other than that I don't think he brings much else to the table.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...46340616,d.eWU
The link above provides what Herring had to say after the acquisition of James & what he & "others" felt about James compared to DeMeco.

."I don't mind throwing it on the table, we're pretty pleased with picking Bradie (James) up, because we feel like we gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving, and then some, to be honest with you," Texans linebackers coach Reggie Herring said Tuesday at OTAs. "At the end of the day, whatever we lost with DeMeco, we feel very confident that we've regained it with Bradie." Here's the quote for those not wanting to read the whole story.

Im being real, it seems members of the Texans coaching staff...not so much. I realize you are saying James ended playing a bigger role then expected, but he was liability BEFORE Cushing's injury & after the injury it only magnified his shortcomings. I don't believe the fall off would have been that great had Ryans been the option in the middle as opposed to James. All I'm saying is that you can't necessarily buy into everything that the staff says & assume it is completely accurate of forthcoming. Herring felt James was just as good as Ryans & obviously you & I disagreed with that, but that didn't stop him from saying it & many believing it. I believe this is similar to the downplaying of our LB's needing to be able cover. Just for the record, I'm well aware of the fact that Ryans role didn't justify his pay. I never disputed that, I simply said that just because Herring & the coaches suggested he was replaced adequately by James doesn't mean it was true or accurate.

We will have to agree to disagree as far the LB's having issues in coverage because I clearly remember them giving up big gains in more then one game. Which included coverage by the ILB's & OLB's to be honest. In fact, thats how Reed was injured. Coverage is a responsibility of the LB's & if they are poor at recognizing their responsibilities & applying coverage it will be evident & exposed IMO. Regardless of the down playing by the coaches. My comparison of James to Ryans was simply pointing out the fact that you might have to take some of the things that are said, even by coaches, w/ a grain of salt.

I also believe we will have to agree to disagree on Reed. He is very young & has hardly fulfilled all of his potential in 2 seasons IMO. Judging him this early seems a bit shortsighted IMO. He does play the run well & is decent in coverage. He still has room to grow, but has shown some decent potential & does many things well. Will he be an All Pro? Probably not, but he is solid in many areas & should get better. I think he will develop into a good piece to the puzzle that eventually won't cost an arm & a leg to keep around & keep this team moving in the right direction IMO.

Last edited by tru80texan; 05-13-2013 at 05:07 PM.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote