View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013   #129
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Most could see Bradie James was not what was advertised by Herring & Wade during the preseason which was prior to any injury issues the team had. It was well documented that both coaches were high on James & that he could replace Ryans effectively. That was proven 100% wrong imo. My point was simply that it was a mistake & that just because they say something doesn't necessarily mean it is golden & completely true.
Lets be serious here.

Bradie James has never been as good as Demeco Ryans. Why would he be able to be as good as him on the downside of his career?

The problem with Demeco was his playing time and production didn't justify his contract.

Bradie James was brought in to be a second or third ILB. Not the everydown guy he ended up having to be.

Quote:
As far as NE, it was pretty clear that they had plenty of options on how to attack & defeat our Texans. Isolating the LB's 1on1 against the RB's in open space was just one. Heck, they even effectively used play action against us which they see in practice regularly. I don't believe Reed alone fixes all of those issues, but he does help IF he can stay healthy.
I disagree on your assessment of the OLB's in pass coverage. Yeah, there might be a time or two where they are covering down field, but for the most part it's coverage in the flats. There hasn't been a game where a team abused our OLB's in coverage so I think that concern is misguided...JMO.

The ILB's have far greater pass coverage responsibilities. Those are the guys you see lined up on RB's when they motion out. Those are the guys that are trailing TE's up the seams.

And I don't believe Brooks Reed solves anything at ILB besides being a decent run stopper. I don't believe Brooks Reed will be on this team past his rookie contract unless he shows great improvement because I don't believe he's that good. He's solid against the run, but other than that I don't think he brings much else to the table.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote