View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair: Cushing "ahead of schedule"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My daughter had her ACL replaced last year, by the Texans team doctor (or one of them). It was actually the second time she had it done as it was originally repaired 3 years prior.

According to the Doc, there had been improvements in the process which should increase success rates & help our athletes return to pre-injury form.

Of course, I thought he was just selling us a bill of goods. Man don't get paid unless we agree to re-do a procedure that just failed. However, when I saw AD go off in 2012, I started to believe there was some truth to what he told us.

Do you know of any improvements in reconstructive knee surgery?
Some improvements have been made in rehab protocols. However, due to the unique shape of the ACL (it is not simply a straight strip like most ligaments), multiple attachments, and multi-directional functions of this ligament, there has never been developed ANY technique that has been able to recreate it anatomically in any true semblance. And there within lies the obstacle.

Also keep in mind, not all ACLs are the same. They can be partial or purely isolated complete. Or as many times is the case involve numerous other structures such as the collateral ligament(s).......medial (MCL) and/or lateral (LCL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), medial and/or lateral meniscus (cartilage)............all these factor into the difficulty and length of recovery as well as the ultimate level of recovery. Even if it were an isolated ACL, AD's recovery still remains remarkable and an exception. Hope this answers your question and doesn't confuse you more.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote