View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Re. Keenum......"Doubt him at your own risk"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Why would you take a guy with the #32 pick if you didn't expect him to be a starter? I know I expected him to be a starter with the Chargers when they picked him there and from what I remember, I wasn't alone.
I'm basically saying there was no surprise to Brees as the #32 pick becoming an NFL starter, and any comparison to Keenum is simply way off base.

The same is true of Kaepernick and Wilson. Kaepernick was the #36 overall pick in 2011, and Wilson was the 75th overall pick in 2012. Clearly the expectations for both were considerably higher than a player who didn't get selected at all in 253 picks. Granted, Wilson has surpassed those expectations (as has Kaepernick), but to say that we should base our expectations of a UDFA on overachieving 2nd and third round picks is simply wrong. Keenum might make it - and trust me, I would live it if he did, but I don't think there's much more reason to believe it after 3 days of rookie camp than there was after the first round of OTA's last season when there were a number of folks claiming that Case had to make the season opening 53 man roster because he would never make it through waivers - or that if by some miracle he did slip through waivers, he'd never last on the PS because some other team would pick him up.

The bottom line is Case could well become a serviceable QB in the NFL, and he may even become a starter, but to look at where we are right now and think it's a given - or even likely - is absolute folly.