View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair: Cushing "ahead of schedule"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Counting on Cushing to be 100% is naive imho. He's coming off a major surgery, a surgery we know sometimes take 2 years to fully heal if it ever does. I expect him to play but I don't expect him to be what he was. I'm worried that the Texans are not apparently worried about him. That's why I'm surprised that the Texans didn't go after a couple of veteran ILBs. Maybe they will before training camp opens and after the teams cut some of their vets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
It's not the injury recovery I'm worried about. It's his strength rehab. Cushing's game relies on speed and physical dominance. If his strength is off, he's off.
The most cited NFL ACL arthroscopic repair study analyzed the data for 31 RBs and WRs with 33 ACL injuries. Of the injured players, 21% (7 of 33 ACL injuries) never returned to play in another regular season NFL game. Of those that did return, most players returned to action 9 to 12 months (not to peak performance) after an ACL injury.

For those players who returned to NFL action following an ACL injury, performance fell by 1/3. A "power rating" was assigned for every player in every season, defined as a weighted sum of total yards and touchdowns, likely the most important statistics of RB and WR performance. The power ratings for the 3 seasons prior to ACL injury were compared to the power ratings for the 3 seasons following ACL injury.Power rating per game played decreased from 9.9 pre-injury to 6.5 post-injury. This decline in player production was statistically significant when compared to the 146 players in the uninjured control group.

Knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced proprioception (the sense of knowing where your leg is) may all be factors explaining the loss of production in players after an ACL injury. Keep in mind, bottom line, no ACL reconstruction technique perfectly recreates the complex anatomy and composition of a person's ACL before injury, the most critical factor in the inability for most to return to pre-injury performance level. A player's recovery such as Adrian Peterson still remains very much the outlier.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote