View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013   #465
Swearinger
Sleeper

Rep Power: 0 Swearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respectedSwearinger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Welcome to the board.
Don't worry if it sounds like I'm ragging on Hopkins;
I'm not.
Even though I don't watch Clemson in person, I do have some 15-20 of his game tapes (as well as Swearinger and Montgomery, etc.)
I know about Hopkins' blocking, too.
I had posted about it, but he does have the body and the core strength to do the job.
Like you said, he just need to be coached up how to handle different types of defenders in different situations.
The same thing goes in the passing game, there's still a lot for him to learn.

He's a good play maker with many good attributes;
He just doesn't quite have the explosiveness of the top tier receiver.
However, if he dedicates himself, Hopkins can still turn himself into a number one receiver.

It was a difficult choice for me between him, Patterson and Hunter as each of them has his own attributes.
Hopkins is what I would call the safest bet when you take into account off-the-field conduct, and his overall demeanor.

As far as Swearinger is concerned, you may notice a lack of discussion about him.
The "residential" draftniks seem to have a concensus on him already, and there seems to be no protestor in the general populace either.

I have an eye on Jadeveon Clowney for a while already; how do you like him?
I think he will be a terror next year, most likely a top five pick, and maybe even the number one prospect.
Sorry for the late response...

Yeah i think right out the box out of Hopkins, Patterson, and Hunter, Hopkins has the better "plug-n-play" potential. He's an exceptional route runner and knows how to seperate from defenders the best of the three IMO. I hate sounding like a broken record but that so key in transitioning to the next level. Followed closely by Hunter then Patterson who may have the most upside based off of his speed and athleticism. If Patterson can catch on to the NFL game, the skies the limit for that kid, he'll be special. But like you said they all bring their own attributes to the table. But i really think Hopkins is going to be a star in Houston's offense.

Clowney, man, what a special player. I'm so bias when it comes to him though. There were times last year when i had to keep reminding myself i was watching a 19 year old Sophomore. You may already have heard he's beefed up to 270ish now and still has his speed. 270 was his target weight for the coaching staff when they signed him and he's filled in quite nicely. The skies the limit for him. Around the middle to late last season Clowney really started to realize his potential and started playing harder late in games. There were times when he got a little lazy or lethargic and Whammy, the DC, challenged him. From the Florida game through to Michigan he played his tail off for 4 quarters and finished with a great season. Yeah, he should be even better this year. I'm certainly hoping so.

Top 5 pick seems to the consensus from most fans and draftniks, but i think him possibly going #1 will depend if that team with the first pick already has a Franchise QB playing for them you know? As much as i'm a fan of Clowney, i'm just as big a fan of Bridgewater. Kid's no bigger than a minute (skinny), but he's such a great passer. If he picks up where he left off last year, he'll most likely or should declare and be in the discussion for the top pick in the draft.
Swearinger is offline   Reply With Quote