View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013   #115
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rookie mini-camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I'm thinking that they worked real hard for the combine and pro days and then took a bit of a breather once drafted . This whole exercise is just a wake up call as to what's expected .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Happens every single year.

They aren't used to the pace of camp. Or how to stay hydrated enough and still perform.

Typically, this gets better. With minicamp, this is sort of like practice to practice for rookies. To get them more used to the pace, the heat, what expectations there are for picking up dropped balls, running out plays etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned.
I'm not overly concerned. But last year we were having discussions of this same subject mostly regarding hydration questions. Evidently, this year we're seeing problems mostly related to conditioning. I might point out that in past years rookie mini-camp have all begun in mid June where the actual temperatures (not even accounting for heat index) were consistently well into the 90's. This year, mini-camp started the beginning of May where the temps have remained between mid 70's to very low 80's. When it's hot and humid maintaining hydration can definitely become a problem. But conditioning becomes that much more an important factor in overcoming the heat's effect on performance endurance. Again, not overly concerned, but this must go squarely on status of player conditioning. Fortunately it is early and good habits and level of commitment to such should be able to be re-molded.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote