View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013   #74
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

Kubiak is going to want Andre Johnson to get about 110 receptions if he plays for 16 games.

TDs for all Texans receivers will be artificially low because Arian Foster will tend to vulture most of the close in attempts. Dennison is a big believer in the offensive line imposing its will with the run game close in. They'd rather Arian Foster pick his way through traffic, and almost walk in the endzone.

So, with that as a preface, and knowing that Foster and OD and others may get some targets too, here is a thought:

I like going to camp myself because I don't trust many camp reports. I think sometimes guys get over hyped or over dogged based on something flashy that went on, or maybe something struck one guy watching camp, and it got reported, and then it becomes sort of a group think thing.

I don't like to say definitive things unless it is almost a no-brainer, this is a non-disputable opinion. And rookie minicamp is soooo early with not real competition.

That being said, all the way too early camp reports on Hopkins looking really good are spot on, indisputable.

The last time a WR stood out so much at camp was Trindon Holliday's first season where it was so obvious that he was terrible and didn't know what he was doing as a WR.

Hopkins stands out the opposite way. He looks so much better than everybody out there on both sides of the ball. Look very effortless the way he catches. Nice afterburners on overthrown balls. You can see him contest and win contestable balls. (In a way that makes you nervous because you don't want anyone hurt).

Kubiak rarely is enthusiastic with young wide receivers. Both he and Dennison are enthusiastic about Hopkins. You can also see them giving him extra time. They want him to be a bad ass because they know he's right up the alley of what they like in a wide receiver.

So, in sum, I'm not buying all the hype on some of the other players mentioned. You can see some good and not so good and learning. But Hopkins just looks like he is already doing full grown man stuff, looks so much better than any of the WR draft picks from last year.

So yeah, I was not a huge WE MUST GET DEANDRE HOPKINS fan when the draft was going on. Just more wait and see and whatever. And I'm not someone that typically thinks most rookies are going to be immediate impact guys. But boy howdy, I really can't wait to see him line up with Andre.

In other words, this wasn't a brussels sprout no fun, necessary evil draft pick. This dude could be big fun to watch and fast. No idea with the numbers, but just a perfect fit for this offense.