View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013   #45
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2013 Expectations for DeAndre Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
First, a roster spot on the initial 53 would be taken by Posey. Leaving someone available on waivers. Second, Posey is a young player and would not be able to practice with the team until after the 6th week of the season. He won't be ready to contribute. Finally, I don't see the Texans taking the risk until Posey goes through another offseason where he can get completely healthy. If this were a seasoned vet, it would be different. No advantage in bringing Posey back earlier than 2014.
I believe you're thinking of the new (in 2012) rule where you can recall one player a year from IR assuming he's on the original 53 man roster, and that's different than PUP. I agree that he's absolutely not a candidate for that.

Posey would not take up a spot on the "original" 53 man roster if he were placed on reserve PUP (which is still in place and unaffected by the new IR rule). In order to be placed on the reserve PUP (out for a minimum of 6 regular season games), Posey would simply need to be placed on the active PUP prior to practicing in training camp (a no brainer), and then moved to the reserve PUP sometime prior to the season starting. I believe he would count against the preseason roster limit (90 thru the third preseason game, and 75 after that), but he would go from the active to reserve PUP without ever having to be on the 53 man roster. After 6 weeks of the regular season, he could then take up to three weeks to practice before either being placed on the 53 man roster (with a corresponding release of course) or placed on season ending IR.

If there's even the slightest chance of Posey making a mid-season comeback in 2013, PUP is the way to go with him.