View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013   #113
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wade on the radio a little while ago confirming what I already knew...

The coverage responsibilities of the OLB's are overrated.

Wade's exact words: "If you can rush the passer, you can play OLB"

He talked about how all the guys he's had throughout his career have been converted DE's. Talked about how he's had some guys that weren't all that nimble, but they could rush the passer.

Said the coverage stuff is not that difficult and it's not like they are going to be playing a bunch of man to man over TE's.

I think too many people think of this defense as a traditional 3-4. They want a big NT...OLB's that can cover TE's in man to man...280+ lb DE's....

This has been said before, but this defense is more like a 5-2 when the NT is on the field and a 4-2 or 4-1 when we go to our pass defense formations.

Regardless, the pass coverage duties of the OLB's have been overstated around here and Wade himself said it's not that big of a deal.
MSR.

That's what I was thinking.

Montgomery's going to be setting the edge, holding the POA, disrupting the TE on passing plays, getting after the QB based on hard work as opposed to speed, and not doing much covering. Those are all things I think he can do and excel at.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote