View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed will miss OTA's due to hip surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That sounds like it was a known issue that wasn't bothering him when we did the physical. Then after we signed him, he started having some pain or something and so we jumped on it aggressively.

sigh
You can be sure that if his hip was bothering him in April, it was bothering him at the end of the season. Whatever pathology was there at the time of surgery was there at the time we signed him.......and at a time that he would have supposedly had a "thorough" evaluation by the medical staff. He had a major hip labrum reconstruction in April 2010..........having had problems for at least 6 months prior to giving into the surgery. His injury required an iliotibial band graft. For those that don’t understand the implication of the use of this graft, it is used to reconstruct large absent/unsalvageable portions of the labrum........meaning that the labrum was destroyed and could not be simply “cleaned up”/trimmed and tacked back down to the underlying structures (which is the most common type of surgery required).

From June 25, 2010:

Quote:
"They had to go in and reconstruct my whole hip. They took about 6-7 inches from my IT band, replaced my labrum that I tore. They went in in two spots, so I mean it's a slow process. Plus I have other injuries that, you know, really probably had an effect on causing this that I have to pay attention to also. So I'm just taking my time.
Quote:
"I played the last couple of games with a torn labrum and just messed my hip up worse, you know, going back out there and doing things the way I was able to do things," he said
http://www.masnsports.com/dan_kolko/...uncertain.html

It is not a good sign that the same hip required ANY further surgery. Approximately 75% of those returning for arthroscopic labral tear/“revision” result in the findings of additional significant cartilage damage. Keep in mind that studies have found that anywhere from 1 out of 4 to 1 out of 3 of those undergoing major hip labrum reconstruction go on to require hip replacement by 4-5 years following their initial INJURY not surgery.

All we can realistically do at this time is hope for the best.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote