Thread: NT Concern...
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013   #84
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NT Concern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Actually, offenses run a hurry up to catch you in your BASE defense to create the mismatches, not your sub. This is a passing league so what do you think they want to pass the ball against more, your base or your sub package? Obviously the answer is your base defense.

Let's also be real. There is one elite team in the AFC we have not proven ourselves against and that is the Patriots. You do not beat them in your base defense because they run a spread and distribute to speed backs that are easily going to beat your linebackers. How did the Ravens beat them? It sure wasn't with their NT's on the field. They got about half of the defensive snaps the entire game.

In other words, the NT is barely a contributor against such teams unless you have a top tier guy and they don't grow on trees.
How often was Ngata on the field? I'd say he's a "top tier" NT. Even if he's lost a step over the years I can't imagine him being off the field for too long. I just think, and I'm sure others on this MB do too, that if the Texans had a NT that size (6'4" 330 lbs) that has some quickness and can plug the middle, that it would help the ILB's and DE's regardless of what the Pats or any other team do. I do agree with you that "they don't grow on trees," but I hope if one does come along, the Texans don't pass on him just because "he will only play 2 downs and won't be on the field that much."
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote