View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013   #275
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 1st Round- DeAndre Hopkins WR Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Rey, you may want to temper your enthusiasm a little.

Let's take a look at his 13-catch game against LSU.
SEC defense, you think they would be good, right?
Well, the strength of that D is the front line; when that front line couldn't get to the QB, their back end can not hold up; and that was what happened in that game.

Out of his 13 catches, 2 were bubble screens when there was nobody on him.
2 were into the zone, and 9 were covered one-on-one.
There were 7 or 8 incompletions where Hopkins didn't get enough separation.

How many do you think he would have gotten against NFL-caliber CB?
I don't know about that, your kinda picking and choosing which I don't believe gives the kid a fair evaluation. I have not watched nearly as much tape as you have but I am not seeing some of the issues you are. For instance, many of the incompletions from the tape I watched was Taj Boyd throwing Hopkins into coverage, ie the opposite of throwing him open. Or throwing high which forces Hopkins to leave his feet instead of continue the route and allowing the CB to close. I came away more concerned with Boyd's accuracy on short to intermediate throws than Hopkins separation.

I think he runs fantastic routes. He is especially effective on the double move, showing both an understanding of the coverage presented and an excellent sense of timing. He shows run after catch ability, with his ability to stick his foot in the ground and cut on underneath routes being his most dangerous move.

He drops some balls, seems to be anticipating his run after the catch before the ball is in his hands. Could do a better job of high pointing the ball and attacking it when it's in the air and sometimes waits for it.

Excellent spatial awareness, body control and competiveness. He played whoever was in front of him and consistently produced on a high level. I really couldnt ask for more. I am in agreement with those who said 60 catches. Just my two cents.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote