View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ed Reed will miss OTA's due to hip surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Doc, this doesn't sound good. I know Reed is not the player he was a number of years ago but this sounds like something that is normally career ending for most. Is he more susceptible to a career ending hip injury now or is his hip stronger since the surgery and it's a non issue?
At this point, there are a lot of holes in the information available. If it is his other hip and it is indeed "minor" requiring only minor debridement, I have seen patients weight bear within 1 week and be back within 4-6 weeks. On the other hand, if this is to go back into the previously reconstructed hip, return could be anywhere from 8-24 weeks, depending on the extent of surgery was necessary and if it involved revision of the iliotibial band graft which I found was used to reconstruct the labrum.

In either case, it has been shown if there is significant chondromalacia (essentially destruction of the cartilage) in the joint present, which is almost certainly the case in an example of major labral reconstruction, arthritis becomes a major factor in obtaining long-term success/performance. Even small labral tears may be associated with significant underlying areas of cartilage damage.

As always, we will need to wait for additional information or just have to be patient to see how his rehab progresses to extrapolate the extent of his injury(ies).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote