View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013   #76
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
I've watch a bunch of games and there is no way he can cover anybody. He looks exactly like Mario Williams in space. Has bad poor change of direction skills.

It will be interesting to see what type of player he turns into now that he's putting in effort to change his body.

First thing they need to work on is his ability to fire off the ball. He's so slow coming off the snap.
First off, remember that LSU had a mush-rush philosophy where the linemen aren't supposed to penetrate quickly as much as read and react.

But also, if they're putting him over the TE, his job is going to be to knock the snot out of the TE to disrupt any timing patterns, and then read whether to tackle the RB or go after the QB.

There's no way this guy can cover people. He doesn't have the agility. But he is a work-hard and get to the QB kind of guy and I think that's what Wade and Reggie want from him.

The speed will be Trevardo/Mercilus coming off the weak side pushing the QB toward Montgomery/Reed or up into the pocket toward Smith/Watt. Coverage will be handled by the ILBs and the Safeties.

At least, that's my understanding.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote