View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
All the concerns I've seen in this thread are so similar to concerns we had a few years ago, that you could literally replace Montgomery's name with Mario Williams name.
Montgomery will probably be WOLB, and in Wade's system, that position is very much like a "rush" DE. Didn't Wade say Mario was going to rush the passer something like 95% of the time, and drop in zone only occasionally?
But for entirely different reasons.

Mario had questions about his motor because he disappeared from games and on tape.

Montgomery has questions because he said he didn't try as hard against weaker opponents because it was hard to get as excited but that he didn't expect that in the NFL. BUT... on tape and in games, Montgomery was a high-motor player. He does NOT disappear from games. He had at least one sack in almost every game he played in.

But the Mario comparison is interesting to me.

Physically, the guys aren't comparable, really. Mario is just so much bigger. Mario is just a freak.

But to my eye, at least, the way Montgomery moves reminds me of Mario.

Since Wade thought he could make a Will out of Mario and since Mario seemed to be thriving in his defense, I'll go along with the move of Montgomery to OLB. I don't think he'll be able to go SAM, though, if he has any coverage responsibilities. I think he'll be a monster if they let him run downhill.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote