View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013   #39
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft grades for those who don't like draft grades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
You can make your assessments based on facts. But putting letter grades on things is sort of juvenile, no? It is done because readers like affirmation or anger about grades, and editors give readers what they want.
I guess that's one way to look at it.

But you can also look at it like this.

All these guys exist to give their opinions on football. Their job is to look at the teams and to say, "Hey, I think this team did pretty good with this pick but not so good with that pick." Putting a letter grade on it is the same thing as a critic putting a "star grade" on a movie.

It doesn't matter one way or another in reality. Roger Ebert not liking a movie didn't make it a bad movie and it didn't make that movie make more or less money in the long run. Because whether Roger Ebert liked a movie or not didn't mean anything.

It's the same with draft grades. They don't mean anything. But for a fan who doesn't get the chance to break down as much film as the Experts are supposed to or have the insights into the professional game the Experts are supposed to have, it gives them an early way to gauge how their draft went and to compare how the "experts" feel about their team's draft vs. other teams.

The fact that these grades are just a reflection of different people's opinions doesn't bother me. And I'm not sure why it seems to bother you.

I think everyone recognizes that the draft can't really be graded until the careers of the guys picked are nearing completion.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote