View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013   #55
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
issue with Sam Montgomery is where does he fit?
From an article comparing Montgomery to Mingo written in early February (apologies if this has been posted, but I haven't seen it anywhere on the site).

Quote:
While I am confident that Montgomery could be a productive outside linebacker in a 34 scheme because he would be outstanding against the run and a solid pass rusher, his best position would be as a base 43 defensive end who can shut down the run to his side of the field and will get pressure on the QB through effort, technique and strength despite lacking elite athletic traits. Mingo is likely to be drafted higher, but if I were making the selection I would choose Montgomery as I feel he is a more complete all-around player who should be able to challenge for a starting job as a rookie. Mingo reminds me a little of former Titans' pass rusher Jevon Kearse and current Bengals' pass rusher Aaron Maybin, while Montgomery is more like the Ravens Paul Kruger.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ersion-10.html

It's far and away positive, and while he does indicate he feels Montgomery would be better in a 4-3, he also draws the comparison to Paul Kruger who's spent his entire career (up until now) playing in a 3-4. Seems like it's one of those things where you look to Wade and let him figure out how to maximize the skill set Montgomery brings to the table.