View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Draft Grade - Round 3/2 Sam Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
issue with Sam Montgomery is where does he fit? will he replace Reed LOLB then kick Brooks inside next to Cushing? I don't think so IMO. He certainly could back-up Brooks Reed. In case of injury he is valuable insurance. I think his best option is to get with strength coach, disprove his critics, lay on a few pounds in low 280's & swing inside to rotate with Antonio @ RDE. It's not his strength to be out in space or in coverage. He can fight with bigger dudes & win with his aggression, strength & excellent lateral quickness. Very similar in size to Connor Barwin just not as fast. Some of us wanted Wade to try & move Connor inside on rushing downs, with his hand on the ground like a true end. Montgomery is even better suited to pull this off. But you know the Texans, they will exhaust every avenue before they expose him game day & take their time developing him, molding him into position then when the moment of need arises insert him in the lineup. Far as 3-4 ends go he would be a quick one, in fact he had identical 10 yard split as JJ Watt @ the combine, gave up 30 lbs but you get my drift.
So... I was thinking about this, too.

Montgomery at SAM (or WILL) is asking him to work in space when he hasn't shown even the first inkling that he could (that I'm aware of.) OTOH, he could gain some weight and play DE to take over for the Ninja and get into the DE rotation. This makes a lot of sense if Jamison isn't going to be coming back soon and if they want to groom someone for Smith's possible departure next year... and if they don't think Crick is that guy.

I was watching Trevardo playing against NC State. My. God. He's scary fast coming off the edge. He completely embarrassed their LT on a couple of plays. He played with his hand up quite a bit although he was used entirely to rush from what I saw.

I feel infinitely more comfortable with Trevardo playing at the Will than I do with Montgomery at Sam or Will.

I need to go watch more Montgomery tape, I think.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote