View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013   #35
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Final Draft Grades (Texans)

Well, I have never graded a draft, and I never will, I only have thoughts about the picks and how well it may work for the Texans.

Round 1- Illinois OLB Whitney Mercilus
I was cool with the player. I saw him as an insurance policy for Barwin.
He turned out to be an insurance for both Barwin (long term, injury and pending future contract) and Reed (short term, when he got injured.)
I was among those who pushed for a WR, can you blame me?
But I didn't mind this pick at all, even though I figure he wouldn't get a whole lot of playing time. The jury is still out on the pick as Mercilus needs to improve in the running game. If you base your valuation strictly short-term (which I'm never a fan of) then this pick was probably between a C and a D at the moment with potential to increase in value.

Round 3- Ohio State WR DeVier Posey
For a third rounder, my thought was that Posey represent a solid prospect who's much more consistent than Jacoby. Need a year before rounding into shape with potential to become a solid number two to replace Walter.
Too bad his fate is now up in the air.
His performance when he was on the field was at least a C.
That he didn't see much playing time was due to coaching decision to hold on to Walter a bit too much and to count on Jean and Martin a bit too much.

Round 3- Miami (OH) OG Brandon Brooks
I felt that this was a solid pick; in time, he should become a starter.
He's on track to do just that. As a rookie, his on-field performance should be in the B to C range; give him a B- or C+ at this time.

Round 4- Georgia OC Ben Jones
Another solid pick that can play both C and G.
On-field performance as a rookie was slightly better than Brooks, due to extensive playing time. Slightly ahead of the curve. B- thus far.

Round 4- Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State
A fourth rounder with return ability.
Probably was given too much on the plate to start out and fizzled somewhat.
I expected fewer dropped balls based on his history.
His performance was at most a D- while I expected at least a C as in Consistent.
Easily the most disappointing pick in that regard.
If only he had managed to stay true with the consistency he showed in college with his hands, the whole game could have been totally different.

Round 4- Nebraska DE Jared Crick
Not much to expect here as the second 4th rounder.
Performance was ho-hum as projected.
Incomplete grade.

Round 5- Texas A&M K Randy Bullock
Not being on the field is always a disappointment.
Incomplete grade.

Round 6- Purdue OT/OG Nick Mondek
I had no idea who he was and didn't feel like going through his game tapes.

Overall, a subpar performance as a group with Mondek and Bullock as no-show and nobody who took the ball and ran with it.

The draft group could have been a C with a healthy Bullock, but as is, at best it receives a C- from me for the year.
Long-term, however, this group should grade out better.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote