View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 Final Draft Grades (Texans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Initial reactions to 2012 draft -

Round 1- Illinois OLB Whitney Mercilus Grade: A
Once again Texans fool me with first overall pick, what's new..... Drafting a 4-3 DE & projecting him to OLB. If he works out half as well as JJ Watt we''ll all be happy right? Quality young man who adds pass rushing speed dimension. Mario Williams missed on a lot of sack opportunities because he was a split second too late numerous times. Mercilus will make those plays. His closing speed is elite, his first 10 yard split confirms this as well posting tops in position 1.55 sec.

Round 3- Ohio State WR DeVier Posey Grade: C+
Better size than I thought @ 6015 211 so that helps reassure me a little. Had similar sense they go with bigger WR early then slot type WR later. Character issue aside, Texans had inside track on this angle & did their due diligence. So feel comfortable we can move on with his skill set that matches what fits profile/need. Reminds me a little of a bigger Mario Manningham & if that's the case better value than imagined.

Round 3- Miami (OH) OG Brandon Brooks Grade: B
One of the top four elite OG's in this draft. Great value. Little surprised went with this big of offensive guard, but that tells me Texans want to run with more power & punch it in the end zone over right side. Has high ceiling if fully developed has pro bowl potential.

Round 4- Georgia OC Ben Jones Grade: B+
Ben one of those wanting to take a Center higher for years so guess this will have to do because this position is set now for probably the next 10 years. Has leadership & toughness to make line calls will earn respect of teammates.

Round 4- Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State Grade: B
Rated just ahead of Ryan Broyles because of explosiveness, plus speed & toughness. Very smart pick that signals end of road for Jacoby Jones as a Texan. Elusive in open field & will make the clutch catch.

Round 4- Nebraska DE Jared Crick Grade: A
Anybody who follows my work knows I love this pick & had given him a 2nd rd. grade. I did not realize the extent of his injury's other than torn pectoral muscle that sidelined him his senior year. When healthy, he is a disruptive interior linemen who can back-up both Watt & Smith. I would love to put some weight on his 6-4 frame & stick him @ nose tackle in Wade's system he could be another Jay Ratliff.

Round 5- Texas A&M K Randy Bullock Grade: B+
Had to take him a little early because of run on position so good job addressing need. I hope he is the Texans kicker for the next decade, but you just never know. He seems polished & mature so should make the transition.

Round 6- Purdue OT/OG Nick Mondek Grade: C+
Love the position, question the prospect with guys like Matt Reynolds & Levy Adcock still available. It's always reassuring to hear the GM discuss a prospect you know nothing about but is making comparisons to Eric Winston the right direction? I was under the impression someone with a little more attitude & athletic ability, but will see maybe he is a diamond in the rough.

Overall Grade: Solid B

now onto undrafted free agents when all the dust settles.
One year later, for those interested for those who don't screw Em

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote