Originally Posted by keyser
I think you're mostly on target. It should be interesting, since I think a lot of those positions are open to competition at the bottom. Here are the things I'm thinking:
- I think they keep 3 QBs, though we'll see how they look in preseason.
- Not sure they keep 6 WRs. There are only 2 (AJ, Hopkins) that I see as sure keepers (as well as Posey) - I could see any of the others not making the roster, and so I'm not sure that 4 of them will stick. I would not be surprised to see them keep only 5, with a couple more on the PS. If they expect Posey back, and if it works (I forget the rules), I wouldn't be surprised to see 6, with that 6th one going to the PS when Posey returns.
- I could see 4 TEs and only 1 FB (especially if they go with only 5 WR)
- Would be a little surprised at 3 NTs, and would think they might drop down to 2. In place, I'd guess either some other LB prospect (still feels way too thin at ILB), a return specialist (might be the extra DB or WR), or that 3rd QB.
- I'd like to see Keo replaced, but they seem to like him, so he'll probably be there. But, I think we might lose a safety (Pleasant) in favor of another CB or a returner, if we don't lose one of the NTs.
I thought about the 3 QB's but Keenum has another year of PS eligibility, and I don't think Kubes will want to use a valuable roster spot on a back up QB he can stash on the PS. Now if Keenum improves enough to beat out Yates then that changes the situation.
The WR situation is tough. They carried 6 last season for awhile with Holliday as their KR. This year I think Martin will be the KR and Bonner will step in as the PR. This area still seems thin even after drafting 2 WR's. I don't think Posey will be back until after mid season at best, and even then he may not ever come back 100%. A lot depends on how bad his achilles tear was. I just hope AJ can stay healthy the full season again. They may only carry 5 with Maehl being the odd man out. I don't think he has any more PS time left.
They carried only 2 TE's last year with Casey being a 3rd if necessary. They will carry at least 3 this year and you may be right with a 4th. I know it hurt them last season when GG went down with injuries and they couldn't run their 2 TE sets very well. I think they even put an extra OT in there as a TE a few times late in the season on certain packages. If they carry 4 I guess Ryan Griffin will be one of them. I just don't know how ready he or Supernaw are for the NFL and I can't see Kubes using a roster spot on 2 guys at the same position who haven't played a down in the NFL. One yes. Two no. Either one could end up on the PS if they only carry 3 TE.
You're right about carrying 3 NT's. I just wonder if they would risk putting Jones on the PS and possibly losing him to another team. They are thin at the position already and I think Hunter may go to the PS too, so I'm not sure what they're thinking is right now. My guess is Mitchell will start (obviously) and Terrell McClain will back him up since he has some NFL experience and was a 3rd round draft pick. If Chris Jones can't beat out McClain, do they give him a 3rd roster spot or do they try to stash him and Hunter on the PS? I know they are high on Hunter and he will definitely be on the PS at the very minimum. So, I guess this comes down to a battle between McClain and Jones if they only keep 2 NTs.
You're also right about being too thin at ILB with only 3 on the roster now. That's where Reed comes into play as an ILB, and my guess is they will ultimately carry 4. Now whether that 4th ILB is Reed, or a FA pickup, or one of the UDFA's I don't know yet. It will all have to play itself out on the field.